Migrating entire iTunes account from PC to Mac??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dealmaker, Nov 23, 2010.

1. dealmaker macrumors regular

After my latest PC motherboard failure (second one in a year) - I have decided to move to all MAc in my household.

I have ordered a new iMac and I have been able to retrieve the data from my hard drive onto a free-standing USB hard drive unit.

So my entire iTunes account and music sits in one file on the drive - as a sub folder of the old Windows "My Music" folder.

So how do I migrate the entire iTunes account - including libraries, apps, music, media and old backups etc onto the Mac?

I see that on a mac in "Finder" the itunes folder sits on "places"/"username"/"Music"/iTunes

if I delete that iTunes folder and replace it with a copy and paste of the one off my hard drive from my old PC - will that do the trick?

If not how do I migrate everything (and not just my music)?

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Move an iTunes library from a Windows PC to a Mac

Apple - Migrate your files

Btw, "Places" is not an actual folder. You have your own user account, which has its own Home Directory, that directory is located in Macintosh HD / Users / .
    "Places" is just a section of Finder's Sidebar, where you can put aliases to files and folders, to have faster access to them.

Also have a look at the following links to learn more about Mac OS X:

Mac OS X Basics

Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

"How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience" created by mad jew in 2006

MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about questions you have. It might be able to answer you quicker than waiting for an answer.

3. Muttley1900 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_6; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.19.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.3 Safari/533.19.4)

@spinnerlys - Thanks for that as I'm just doing the same (moving from pc to my first Mac) and wanted to get iTunes right.

J.

4. Mik3F macrumors 6502

I used the top link in the second post and had no trouble. Just make sure you update itunes to the latest version first or else your library won't be read.

5. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau