Migrating files from old eMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GorgeousGeorge, Dec 30, 2012.

1. GorgeousGeorge macrumors newbie

GorgeousGeorge

Hello,
    I've read on here that the best way to transfer files from your old computer was to use migration assistant.......trouble is my old emacs software is out of date and I can't use the migration assistant.
    Is there any other shortcuts?
    Or am I just gonna have to transfer them onto my external drive and then to my ne iMac.
    It's just a bit slow that's all:rolleyes:
    Cheers george

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Or am I just gonna have to transfer them onto my external drive and then to my ne iMac."

My suggestion:

If you have an external drive available, use the free version of CarbonCopyCloner (version 3.4.7, available on the CCC download page) to create a "full clone" of the eMac's internal drive.

Then, connect the drive to the new iMac. You should be able to use Migration Assistant then, or, just copy data you want to bring over "by hand"...

3. GorgeousGeorge thread starter macrumors newbie

GorgeousGeorge

Thanks ill see how I go

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Not sure that will work because the eMac was PPC and 10.8 doesn't support Rosetta anymore.

Personally, I would copy over data files (music, docs, video, etc) by hand because you only want the standard data file formats, not program specific preferences and support files that are out of date and could cause issues.