Migrating files & settings?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iossify, Oct 4, 2007.

1. iossify macrumors newbie

Hi, another member of the ubiquitous first time masses!

I have a question. I'm receiving my first mac tomorrow (macbook pro 15"! quite excited).

I know it's right before leopard and all, but it's being offered as a replacement (for a PC laptop) and I couldn't pass it up.

My question, and query, is this: I have a fair portion of files on an NTFS file system (about 400gb).

So: how does sharing files work between Vista & OSX, via an external hard drive? If i work in FAT32 am I okay (obviously except for the file size restrictions)? Or is there an ingenious manner in which i can have both operating systems read the same files?

I'm assuming i'll migrate over the next few months to solely OSX usage, but my concerns are the brighter RGB default on Mac monitors (i'm editing pictures for a conveniently pc-laptop owning populace) so am keen to be able to work in vista for a bit from the beginning, without having to have duplicates of ALL my files so i can have access to them on either OS.

Any help is, obviously, enormously appreciated!

Thanks guys.

(if there IS a thread regarding this - i had a wee search but pulled up nothing - please feel free to just bump me in the right direction!)

2. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

OS X can read but not write an NTFS drive that is directly connected. It can if the drive is networked. OS X can read and write a FAT32 drive. The odd part is that if you reformat the drive with the Mac, you will be able to create one big partition, OS X does not impose the 32 gig volume restriction that Mr. Gates built into XP.
    If your biggest problem is monitor gamut, I think you will be able to dial down the Mac's display until it matches a dull, gloomy PC. :D