Migrating fr old iMac to new - help with apps pls

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dumbeblonde, Nov 19, 2015.

1. dumbeblonde macrumors newbie

My 2007 iMac power died. Repairer 1st said it's power supply (I thought capacitors may need replacing) but then he rang back to say motherboard.

I asked him to take everything from the HDD. He only copied docs! I'll post another thread about this.
    In the meantime, he copied the Address Book from my old 10.6.8 iMac. I working from a loaner lappy running 10.8.5 and it doesn't recognise the old address book.

How can I import all my addresses so they're not lost pls?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"How can I import all my addresses so they're not lost pls?"

Did he just do a "finder copy" of the address book?

I believe the proper way to do it is to "export" the old address book into an archive (choice available in the file/export menu), and then re-import it into the new Contacts (renamed version of address book) in its entirety.

How did he get the info from your old hard drive?
    Did he physically remove the drive from the iMac?
    Or was he able to access it using "target disk mode"?

The -best- way to do it would be to try to create a "cloned copy" of the old drive onto an external drive.

Or -- if the old drive is "in hand", put it into a USB3/SATA "docking station" (these cost about $20), and then connect it to the new Mac.

If the old drive is still good, you can then use Migration Assistant to "bring over" your old accounts, email, applications, etc.

3. dumbeblonde thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for your reply. I really don't know how he did it, but I'm most unhappy with the service. They've had my machine 3 weeks now and nothing further has been done. I'm going over in the next few days to retrieve it. I just hope they've not taken out any working bits (I'm a suspicious old gal!). But wanting to charge me $100 for a copy of the drive and then not delivering is just not on.

The Mac tech (Xavier) wasn't at the store when my friend drove me there. But when I had spoken to Xavier earlier, and asked him to clone it to an external HDD, he said it wasn't possible. I found that hard to believe. I gave them a 1TB portable drive to copy data to. He did say he took out the drive to copy the files because the iMac has no power.

I was thinking recently of phoning and making an appointment with an Apple Genius Bar consultant re this issue. I think I'd prefer to have the drive in a docking station. I'll post an update after I get my iMac back. Thanks again.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ask for the hard drive back, and get an external enclosure or docking station and restore/copy the data yourself.

5. dumbeblonde thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I think that's best. I've made an appt with the Apple Genius Bar in 3 days time, just for a second opinion on why the iMac won't power up.

Can anyone tell me how hard it is (and whether it's risky) for a non techy person to remove the hdd myself?

6. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

2007 iMacs are on the list of Vintage and Obsolete devices https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624 - the Genius Bar will look at it, but if it needs parts, they won't be able to do the repair.

You can probably find an illustrated guide to removing the HDD at ifixit.com. Good way to learn if you'd be up to the task.