Migrating from 4 to 6s

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by alembic, Sep 10, 2015.

1. alembic macrumors regular

My friend has an iPhone 4 running 7.1.2. She does not have an iCloud account but she can backup her phone to a laptop via iTunes.

When she buys the 6s, what would be the easiest way to migrate her contacts, calendar, pics, videos, etc from her iPhone 4? Simply sync the above data from the backup to her new phone via iTunes?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Correct. Plug in the new phone and restore from the last good backup of the 4.

3. alembic thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks eyoungren. Do you mean re-sync data rather than restore? I thought restore involves systems files also?

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You might be thinking an upgrade and restore. What I am referring to is restoring the backup data to the new phone. There will be a sync involved, but only after iTunes has started the restore from backup. Also, Apple has never allowed a downgrade to any version of iOS it isn't signing, nor can you restore a device to a firmware (version of iOS) that it never shipped with. So, all that is going to happen will be that the data from the backup on the computer will be 'restored' to the new iPhone.

Which is what you want. ;)

5. alembic thread starter macrumors regular

6. kirkwoodgirl macrumors newbie

After migrating to 6S, I can't erase all data from old 4s. What is the deal ?

7. magicpinkdrink macrumors member

magicpinkdrink

Did you turn off "Find my iPhone"?

8. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya