Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
It should actually connect using UTMS as all AT&T SIMs (for a while) are 3G SIMs. This can be proven by taking the iPhone SIM out and putting it in a current 3G phone.

Yes, I am guessing that if we put in our iphone 1 sim card in the 3G iPhone, then AT&T wouldn't be able to tell we were using the iPhone 3G, and therefore we would still be able to get 3G, but on the iphone 1 plan.
So all you would have to do is get hold of an iPhone 3G without contract, and swap the sims, as long as you can somehow get it unlocked. My guess being it won't be long before they are unlocked - especially if some of the European phones do come unlocked, they could somehow load the software supplied with those ones onto the USA models.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
I'm confused about one thing. I've heard multiple times that current iPhone users would be able to use the same plan, with a new phone, so in other words, would not have to pay extra/month for 3G, 200 texts, etc. Is this true? Or do you have to start a new plan?

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
I'm confused about one thing. I've heard multiple times that current iPhone users would be able to use the same plan, with a new phone, so in other words, would not have to pay extra/month for 3G, 200 texts, etc. Is this true? Or do you have to start a new plan?

Current iPhone users can maintain their CURRENT plan on their CURRENT iphone.
If you upgrade to an iPhone 3G, you pay the 3g plan prices the same as everyone else.

AlphaAnt

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2006
MD, USA
I believe they require a new SIM card because it's not really the same line of service. There's some account information on the SIM that points to the old line of service that becomes out-dated if you migrate plans. Basically, it's the same reason that your voicemail is lost if you upgrade from an iPhone to an iPhone 3G. It's not really the same line of service, it just happens to have the same CTN (phone number).

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
Current iPhone users can maintain their CURRENT plan on their CURRENT iphone.
If you upgrade to an iPhone 3G, you pay the 3g plan prices the same as everyone else.

Also is you sell your CURRENT iPhone to someone else, they can start up a NEW plan with the 2G plan prices.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
So what happens if I buy a 3G and then sell my 2G to someone else? When people bought the new 16GB version, they just swapped SIMS and sold their 8GB with a fresh SIM. Easy for the buyer. If I can't do that this time around, will the 2G buyer have to pay a ridiculously high price to buy a SIM or will ATT throw it in for free at activation time?

b4ulaf

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Do you think I could try this?

I believe they require a new SIM card because it's not really the same line of service. There's some account information on the SIM that points to the old line of service that becomes out-dated if you migrate plans. Basically, it's the same reason that your voicemail is lost if you upgrade from an iPhone to an iPhone 3G. It's not really the same line of service, it just happens to have the same CTN (phone number).

Once I upgrade to iPhone 3G, could I call AT&T and downgrade back to the original iPhone plan without AT&T knowing I am using a 3G iPhone? That would save $10.00 a month. One other note of interest, the regular MediaMAX data plans do not have a difference in price between EDGE and 3G. So, why is the iPhone data plans different? Is it because it can access data easier?

AlphaAnt

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2006
MD, USA
Once I upgrade to iPhone 3G, could I call AT&T and downgrade back to the original iPhone plan without AT&T knowing I am using a 3G iPhone? That would save $10.00 a month. One other note of interest, the regular MediaMAX data plans do not have a difference in price between EDGE and 3G. So, why is the iPhone data plans different? Is it because it can access data easier?

I doubt they'll let you downgrade, how else would they recoup their subsidy?

The MediaMAX plans are for certain types of phones, and you'll never get enough data through a phone like that to compare to what you can get through an iPhone. Even on EDGE, the AT&T Blackberry plans are 30 dollars for UNL Data, also with no texts. Considering how often they're making data connections, you'll probably get more data usage on an EDGE Blackberry than a 3G flip-phone using MediaMAX. It's not the speed of the connection that you're paying for, it's the amount of throughput.

While the iPhone 1.0s could also rack up the data throughput, AT&T didn't have to pay a dime towards the cost of the device, so they can give you a discount accordingly.

dom7

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
Colorado
Maybe there will be a use for this little guy after all:

office2001to2003.PNG

It looks like you are attempting to retrieve your SIM card....

I remember this little guy! (he was kind of a pain...)

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
Why does everyone want to use their old sim card? I do understand that the iPhone 3g comes with a tool to open the sim tray.... that doesn't mean that we have to use it. My car came with a tool to remove a tire from my car... that does not mean that i have to remove the tires from my old car to use on the new one. As long as you back up your old iPhone you will be back to normal with the new iPhone as soon as you sync for the first time. We are going to have to sync anyway to get our music and other files over to the new phone anyway... why add another step (sim card) to a simple process.
Comic Book Guy

Well, in my instance, it's simply a matter of confusion. I am going to sell my 2G iPhone after I get the 3G. Apple is telling me I DO NOT need to change the SIM card out, that all account information will be TRANSFERRED to the 3G card. Yet, AT&T is telling me I need to take out the SIM card of the 2G and the person buying my iPhone needs to either pop in their current SIM card (if an AT&T customer) or go into the store and get a new SIM card.

What I am wondering is why would my buyer need to change the SIM out at all? As far as I can tell, once the 3G phone is activated with my number, the 2G is rendered useless. So, my buyer should be able to connect it to iTunes (with original SIM intact) and activate just as I originally did. Right? Apple and AT&T are offering conflicting information if that is the case.

Now, maybe Apple is assuming you won't be selling your 2G so there's nothing to worry about? I think it's a pain the ass if I have to tell the person buying my phone "Hey, you need to go into an AT&T store and get a new SIM card, even though you already have one in your current phone." The whole point to SIM cards is to interchange them with devices...why would it be different in this case?

rlreif

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2003
Vancouver
nonsense

this is all nonsense

a sim is a sim, regardless of what is printed on it

my sim (currently in an unlocked iphone) still says 'cingular' on it... i first got it in 2003... it has been in a locked sony t68i and later in the same phone unlocked, 2 treo 650s one locked one not, a 3G samsung blackjack locked, a 3G htc tytn unlocked, a 3G att 8925 or tilt unlocked and back to an iphone now unlocked

when it was new cingular had no 3g network (2003) and now its all att anyhow... and its always worked... i havnt changed it because im grandfathered in on an old north america plan, and i dont mess with subsidies

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.