Migrating from Chrome to Safari for Yosemite

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by lowercaseperson, Jun 8, 2014.

1. lowercaseperson macrumors 6502

Hi all,

Wanting to hear opinions on if I should finally go back to Safari after being on Chrome for so long. With Yosemite and the whole "continuity" push I'm really starting to feel like Safari should be my browser. I honestly don't know a whole lot about browser speeds and whatnot but there are a few major differences between the two (good and bad) that I have noticed and was hoping I could get some good advice. Especially for those under the "bad" column, could you make recommendations on ways to bridge or fix the problem? Here Goes:

Good:

Speed and Stability: About the only thing I like about Safari over Chrome (outside of the upcoming continuity factor) is the fact that on my rMBP Safari is noticeably less buggy and faster with loading/scrolling large pages.

Bad: (aka please tell me if I can do this in Safari!)

Downloads: In Chrome I have it set up so every time I download something it asks me where to put it - it seems like Safari just wants one folder to put everything in, from which I then have to reorganize. Big waste of time...and really kinda a deal breaker for me. Help?

Spelling: I am in Grad school in Anesthesia - I say that because I type up a lot of stuff about medical procedures and drugs and whatnot. I use quizlet and other web based apps to study with. Chrome lets me get spelling suggestions from Google via a right click - which is fantastic. Safari just thinks everything I am spelling is wrong - or even worse I get in a autocorrect battle with my computer over every other word I type. I know I can turn autocorrect off....but that really isn't the issue - I want the Goggle suggestions.

Home page: This is fairly small, but frankly I really like the way I have Chrome set up and why move if I can't have it the way I like it? When I open Chrome (after quitting the program) it opens my five "favorite" sites - that I set under preference. Safari only let's me have one home page? What's up with that?

Those are my main concerns and frustrations with Safari. What do you think? Should I bother making the switch, are there work arounds for those major frustrations I mentioned? Also what browser do ya'll use and will you be switching? Thanks in advance.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You can set it to top sites, and have 6 fave sites.