Migrating from Hackintosh OSX Server to Mac Mini Server

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by wileyoompa, Aug 3, 2015.

1. wileyoompa macrumors newbie

wileyoompa

I have a hackintosh we built back when our company was young. It has successfully been running our backups and some of our internal apps we use. It has come time that I need something I can update more frequently and have it run more reliably so I have purchased a 2012 Mac Mini with 16gb ram and 2 500gb hard drives. Its a solid machine but every time I use time machine to restore the backup from the hackintosh, I get all sorts of weird issues with the Mini.

It looks to me that it might be that there are kext files and other settings being transfered from the server to the new Mini that are causing the hangups and odd behavior.

The hackintosh is running 10.7.4 and I would like to be running Mavericks on the new machine. I am good at migrating and dealing with mac-mac stuff but the hackintosh is new to me as I did not build it or have I had to maintain it until now.

Any advice on how the best way to migrate the processes and the settings from the hackintosh to the new Mini without getting all the odd files that are causing the problem?

Thank you!

Brandon

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

All that really should be important to you is the data on the machine with Lion on it so simply migrate the data only the add back in the functions that are in use by you. That said the minimum to get rid of would be the Fakesmc.kext as that is not needed for real mac and anything like networking and video .kext that we used in the old install. Now for the stuff you use on the old server it should be easy enough to copy over the configuration files for them manually from old install to new to have it working like it used to assuming no bugs introduced in between OS upgrades/new locations for the files. If you were to post the output of ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/ used in a Terminal then we should be able to track down the rogue .kexts in there. But all this would be best done with fresh install of OS X server on the new mini then migrate only data perhaps the users and nothing else. Then get setting up what is needed from there one service at a time testing each as it comes online that should quash any odd hackintosh problems.

3. wileyoompa thread starter macrumors newbie

wileyoompa

Thank you for your reply, I see what you mean about the kext files. Is it possible to install Yosemite server and migrate from the Lion server time machine backup?

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Possibly never used Yosemite or Lion for that matter to be able to say for sure but if it migrated to Mavericks from lion you would think it should do the same with it. Remember only the data with possibly the users migrated nothing else or you will end up with the same problems from the left over hackintosh stuff being migrated as well. As far as that goes you still have old machine right? If so then mounting the old via AFP sharing and manually copying over the data only may be good idea.