Migrating from iMac to MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DB2k, Feb 20, 2014.

1. DB2k macrumors regular

Hi

So I have a 2TB 27" iMac at the moment and am considering migrating to a 13" MBA in the next few months (refreshes being taken into account).

I'd like thoughts from you (esp if you have been in a similar situation) on how to manage my data moving forwards.

I use a TC to backup my iMac at the moment so that's fine.

But the MBA won't have similar storage so do I get a NAS which I can access music and films etc from? Or do I get a mac mini and a thunderbolt RAID solution and use a remote desktop to access stuff? I don't want to have trailing leads on my MBA. I want my music hooked up to my receiver and I'll need to sync my iPhone/iPad to something for backups locally and for managing content (apps/music/podcasts/photos).

I had a netgear NAS before and it was utter toilet and so slow so I don't want to go back that way, experience wise. But I'm open to suggestions.

thanks
    David

2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Get a decent NAS. I highly recommend the Synology brand. It's more expensive than that Netgear/WD junk, but so are most things are are excellent.

The Mac Mini route is a total waste of cash so don't do that.

3. DB2k thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply :)

But can you run iTunes/iPhoto locally using a wireless network storage solution for video, music, apps and device backups etc?

4. davids8477 macrumors 6502

Hello:

I have done exactly as you are planing, going from a 27" iMac to a 13" MBA. I found the transition painless and really enjoy my MBA.

I use an older Mac MINI as my server for music, movies and photos. I have 2 of these hooked to the Mini. Both are Raid 5 and one backs up the other (paranoia!).
    System world well and I can stream music/video to several rooms via ATVs and or Roku.

I have my iPhoto library on one of the raid drives and run iPhoto on the MBA.

5. DB2k thread starter macrumors regular

Top work - so that clarifies what I thought I might need then I think.
    Appreciate the comment .. thanks