Migrating from iPhone 5 to 6+ (data, contacts..)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sparkie7, Nov 5, 2014.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68010

sparkie7

What's the best way to transfer or migrate all my phone contacts, to do lists, email accounts from my 5 to my new 6+ ? or is it best to manually enter everything again from scratch?

Also assume I should download all new apps (like Skype, XE etc..) fresh onto the 6+ as these would not transfer from the 5, as the 6+ is on a newer IOS?

Advice/tips appreciated. Thanks in advance..

2. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

The fastest way:

Back up your iPhone 5 to your computer using iTunes. Use a password to encrypt your backup; this will ensure that saved passwords on your iPhone 5 are part of the backup. Make sure all the apps get copied to your computer as well as part of the backup (it will ask to do so)

Then, restore this backup onto your iPhone 6. The result will be your 6 being configured identically as the 5 was, to every last tiny detail.

Enjoy! You can also use iCloud backups but that is much slower and won't save your passwords.

EDIT: You can restore a backup of an older iOS version to a device running a newer version, that works fine. It's the other way that won't work (new version backup to an older version)

3. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68010

sparkie7

Thanks for info.

I have backed up my iPhone 5 before using iTunes, but don't remember the password to encrypt -- is this a user selectable option? Don't remember seeing this or using it..

Ok, what about Skype. Will it just copy over the version that was on my 5. Presumably I have to download or "update" to one optimised for the 6+ ?

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Yup, there's a checkmark you can check to encrypt. You'll have to enter a password.

It will restore the same version of Skype (and all your other apps) that you had on the 5. You can then run an update on the 6 to bring everything to the latest version if you want.

5. 3rdiguy macrumors 65816

3rdiguy

For me, iCloud was the easiest method. It always has been. I back up my old device and then restore form most recent backup.

6. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I also did an iCloud back up, more out of convenience than anything (wasn't around my PC at the time). I would much rather do it through iTunes as it is the quickest since the backup through iCloud for me took about an hour.

7. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68010

sparkie7

Thanks.

I'm tempted to just start from scratch. ie. clean slate, manually enter only the numbers i want. and to download apps i will use.

i think i have a few redundant apps like Viber i just dont use, as it was crap (the call quality). I dont want that transferred on my new 6+

Is it possible to select what gets migrated? like info on my post it notes, and not certain apps?

----------

I don't trust any of my data on any cloud server. No thanks. I'll stick with a G-Drive mini..