Migrating from iWeb to Wordpress for use with iPad and MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GLOC, Aug 27, 2012.

1. GLOC macrumors member

I currently host my website on a remote server and use iWeb to develop it.

However, I would like to add more details/pages to my site and Wordpress seems to be the sort of thing I am looking for. I know I could use a CMS like Joomla but want to be able to do something offline on the iPad if possible and then 'just sync'.

Does such a capability exist? Wordpress for iOS and if so, how easy is it to migrate from iWeb to Wordpress?

Regards

Gareth

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. GLOC thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, my fault for not being clearer, I know that Wordpress for iOS exists, was looking for some experiences in running a Wordpress blog from iPad and whether it would be easy to port pages from iWeb over, or is it a case of 'copy and paste' the text over and reformat or can I take the existing pages and import them to Wordpress?

Regards

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Wordpress runs on the server. The Wordpress app just accesses that information on the server. If you're going to transition from iWeb to Wordpress, I would copy/paste everything using your computer, and just use the iPad app for updates. It will be much simpler overall.

BTW, saying you want to use Wordpress instead of a "CMS like Joomla" is a very incorrect statement. Wordpress is also a CMS. There's no such thing as offline editing, unless you simply compose things in your text editor and then paste them into Wordpress later.

jW

5. SpinThis! macrumors 6502

Wordpress can do a lot if you know how to tinker with it and know enough HTML to be dangerous. Since you're asking here, it doesn't sound like you know much (if at all) HTML coming from iWeb. I would begin by looking for a theme that approximates your design—or just find one you like and start over. Wordpress has a ton of free themes you can start with and that you can customize to your liking.

How many pages did you have? Wordpress has a few plugins to help you bring over your existing content but if you only have a few pages, it's not hard to copy and paste the content into Wordpress, depending on what it is.

You also might want to consider other services like Weebly. Wordpress doesn't really do WYSIWYG editing as far as page layout.

6. GLOC thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to you both (Mal and SpinThis!).

Answers the questions I had. There are only a dozen or so pages so I will just copy and paste across and use the iPad app to update things.

Regards