Migrating from leopard MB to snow leopard iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by finlaycarson, Dec 16, 2010.

1. finlaycarson macrumors newbie

Hi,

I run a late 2007 plastic MacBook with Leopard, and have just bought a new iMac with Snow Leopard. I'm planning to keep the two in sync using ChronoSync for documents, photos, music etc (basically my user folder), but am unsure about an initial synchronisation/cloning. I want to clone more than just my user folder, as I want to copy across all my applications and settings (e.g. mail setup and system preferences) but I'm unsure of how to do this without merely cloning the HD on my MB - I don't want to end up running leopard on the iMac! I hope this is clear enough. Any suggestions on how to do an initial copy to get everything I need without just cloning everything? Or would I just be best off cloning the HD then reinstalling snow leopard from the disc, as if I was just upgrading from leopard to snow leopard on my MB?

Finlay

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

You should be able to use Migration assistant to copy over Apps/Documents/settings. from one Mac to another on the same network.

3. finlaycarson thread starter macrumors newbie

So MA will do all of this without me having to select exactly what files/folders to copy across from my system folder? Sorry if this is a bit simple, it's the first time I've used MA.

Fin