Migrating from one hard drive to a new one

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by occ10dog, Jun 8, 2007.

1. occ10dog macrumors newbie

Here's my situation:

My CD Macbook's hard drive was getting full so I bought a new 160 Gig one from Newegg. To prepare for the install, I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my old hard drive to an external. When the new drive, I was able to switch the hardware very easily, but when it came time to boot up off of the external, it booted and then went to my login screen, but my password didn't work and I couldn't login to carbon copy the external to the new internal.

So, I had to do a clean install OS X on the new drive and manually move some folders around and such. Most is working alright, but programs that require activation (ie. Parallels, FCE, etc.) are wanting my info again. Is there anyway to get those programs moved over so they will work?

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

use the Migration Assistant.

3. occ10dog thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought about that and tried it, but Migration Asst. won't recognize my firewire drive for the transfer. It is saying that it is waiting for the target Mac to restart.

Is there a file somewhere that contains the registration info for a program like Parallels?

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I've used Migation assistant from an external...weird.

As for your reg info, I do believe its in the hidden folders in your home folder called .parallels_settings or something like that.

5. occ10dog thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there anyway to find this file?

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Type these two lines in Terminal
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
    killall Finder
    This will reveal hidden folders as you browse in Finder.

Edit: I would suggest you just copy the whole folder to your new home folder

7. occ10dog thread starter macrumors newbie

I found the file, but moving it doesn't solve my problem. If you've got any other ideas, I'd appreciate them. If not, thanks for your time.

8. occ10dog thread starter macrumors newbie

But, by looking at the file info, it contained my activation key. Thanks for your help!