Migrating from one mbp to another

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skiltrip, Nov 25, 2010.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I'm new to Macs as of this past April. Got a 13" mbp. I'm thinking of getting an upgraded 13" or possibly a 15" next year. I'm looking for the least painful way to make the move. Is it at all possible to just swap my 13" system drive into the new one or will it not work correctly because of some differing hardware.

If backup software would help, I also have the full version of SuperDuper! in addition to TimeMachine.

The thin I dread the most is the re-installation of all my audio recording software.

2. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

Get yourself an external drive and use time machine to do backups. I think you can restore the new computer from there...could be wrong though.

3. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

I have a few external drives already so this is no problem. Can anyone confirm I can use TimeMachine for this purpose?

4. miata macrumors 6502

Time Machine is great for backups and will enable the migration, but the easiest thing to do is put the old system in target disk mode and just connect it to the new system via firewire and do the migration.

5. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Use Time Machine. There's a tutorial on Apple's website. When you first turn on your new Mac, there will a screen that will ask, "Set up new... blah blah" one of the options will be "Set up from Time Machine Backup." Choose this and follow the on screen prompts. Hope this helps! :)

6. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Sweet. This is what I wanted to hear. I'll find and take a look at that tutorial.