Migrating from PowerPC to intel?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kingugly, Dec 22, 2010.

1. kingugly macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Just got a new Mac Pro after using my trusty PowerPC for the last 4 years. Now, some of my apps are universal binary, some not. Am I asking for trouble in using the migration assistant, or will the Mac do it's thing and sort it all out on it's own? Should I start with a clean slate? A little worried about software validations, etc. What's the best move in this case?

2. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

Your Mac Pro should be able to run PowerPC-only apps using Rosetta (it will ask you to install it once they're launched). Shouldn't be an issue.

3. iMouse macrumors regular

About 2 years ago, I moved my wife from a 12" PowerBook G4 1.5 to a unibody aluminum MacBook using the Migration Assistant.

Everything went over smoothly except for the screensaver password/settings. Apple has their stuff tight...that's for sure.

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I'm lazy. When I moved from a PowerMac MDD to a Mac Pro, I used Migration Assistant.

5. barmann macrumors 6502

I started clean when I made that move, and avoided anything Rosetta, which is slow and potentially buggy.
    Same with migration assistant, I moved only the most important user data and did it manually .

Each his own, but you can find guides re. PPC to Intel migration on Google, and discussions on it .
    Some good reads on the Apple forum.