migrating from Thunderbird (on XP) to Mac mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by evillageprowler, Nov 23, 2007.

1. evillageprowler macrumors regular

Hi,

My current system for email is Thunderbird on an XP system; I have many folders and saved messages as well as much email stored on the ISP's mail server. I wish to know what is the easiest way to migrate from Thunderbird on XP to the native mail program on Leopard?

Suggestions?

TIA,

EVP

2. palmerized macrumors regular

Is your mail IMAP or POP?

If it's IMAP, then simply setup the IMAP account in Mail, and everything will sync.

If it's POP, then copy your profile folder from your PC to your Mac. Install Thunderbird and import that profile. Next, open Mail and import from 'Mozilla". This should bring all your mail in. Then, you can delete your Thunderbird profile from your Mac.

Hope this helps.

3. Cams macrumors regular

I just did this - my first help on Macrumors!

palmerized has it right. Install Thunderbird on the Mac and copy your profile folders over from your PC (usually in \Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\ folder).

This page helped me: http://www.stephenchu.com/2007/01/migrate-thunderbird-mailboxes-from.html (the bottom option).

What I wanted to do was to create a new profile in Thunderbird on the Mac and option double-clicking the icon as suggested on the Mozilla pages [Profile Management] didn't work (once I figured out what the option key actually was - I'm a Mac noob). So, on my first day on the Mac, I found myself in the terminal... [Instructions here]

So I created a new profile from the terminal, then copied the Windows Thunderbird directory over the newly created directory on the Mac and it just worked! Then it was a simple matter of importing Thunderbird into Mail.app.

Good luck!

4. evillageprowler thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, but I'm afraid that I'm SOL for now - the wife thinks it is ok to spend big $$ on European vacations but not (relatively) modest $$ on stuff for me. :(

Sigh...