Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MLMIB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
so I'm on 1.4 now (unlocked using ziphone for what its worth) but I'm moving to 2.0.

heres the catch

I don't need to unlock my iphone on 2.0, I called it in and I'm just paying the $20 a month (it's under a family plan) for data so I also don't need to worry about it and I can use the warranty (theres a small bubble under the screen I'd like to fix under warranty)

so
1) can I just connect the iphone to itunes, let itunes update the firmware and let it all go through that way or will itunes get made that I unlocked the phone previously and brick it?

2) I figure worst comes to worst I can just follow the directions for the pwnage tool and use that, even if the update via itunes to be unlocked doesn't go well and I determine I just need to unlock it so I can call them to complain, or am I wrong in that assumption? will pwnage not fix it at that point?

many thanks

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
bump, hopin for some help...
It's quite simple. Just download latest pwnage tool and latest Apple firmware, follow the direction of pwnage tool and you will have a jailbreak phone. Then unlock it with boot neuter and there's your unlocked phone.

I would most certainly go this route, so you won't be stuck with renewing a 2 year contract when you try to activate through iTunes.

MLMIB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
it's not that simple...

I can pay month to month data service because you can buy second hand iphones (first gen) now, so I said I did that 'n got a month to month data plan (I'm not under contract)

also, I'd like to use the apple warranty as a bubble is under the screen and I know it's covered under apple warranty but the first thing they do is check to see if the phone is hacked (they update the software first thing) so I need for it to be legit before I can use the warranty. so yea, can I just update the software via itunes and as long as my number is good and registered with apple it'll take or will update via itunes from a 1.1.4 jailbroken phone to a 2.0.1 not jailbroken brick the phone?

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
it's not that simple...

I can pay month to month data service because you can buy second hand iphones (first gen) now, so I said I did that 'n got a month to month data plan (I'm not under contract)

also, I'd like to use the apple warranty as a bubble is under the screen and I know it's covered under apple warranty but the first thing they do is check to see if the phone is hacked (they update the software first thing) so I need for it to be legit before I can use the warranty. so yea, can I just update the software via itunes and as long as my number is good and registered with apple it'll take or will update via itunes from a 1.1.4 jailbroken phone to a 2.0.1 not jailbroken brick the phone?

I guess you don't understand the part where if you activate your account via iTunes, you will have to renew 2 year contract.

If the phone is locked, you won't be able to just insert a new sim card into first gen phone. It will require you to activate through iTunes before the phone will work. What I would do is quite simple.

Just restore the phone to 2.0.1 through iTunes without inserting your sim card. Walk into Apple store and replace it through genius bar without saying anything about how you got the phone (if you still have valid warranty). Then bring the new phone back and unlock it.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
so I'm on 1.4 now (unlocked using ziphone for what its worth) but I'm moving to 2.0.

heres the catch

I don't need to unlock my iphone on 2.0, I called it in and I'm just paying the $20 a month (it's under a family plan) for data so I also don't need to worry about it and I can use the warranty (theres a small bubble under the screen I'd like to fix under warranty)

so
1) can I just connect the iphone to itunes, let itunes update the firmware and let it all go through that way or will itunes get made that I unlocked the phone previously and brick it?

2) I figure worst comes to worst I can just follow the directions for the pwnage tool and use that, even if the update via itunes to be unlocked doesn't go well and I determine I just need to unlock it so I can call them to complain, or am I wrong in that assumption? will pwnage not fix it at that point?

many thanks

I want to do the same thing, except I unlocked via PwnageTool back in May or June... so should I just update through iTunes normally? I DON'T care about having a jailbroken iPhone; I just want to get 2.0/2.0.1 ASAP and not brick my iPhone.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
I want to do the same thing, except I unlocked via PwnageTool back in May or June... so should I just update through iTunes normally? I DON'T care about having a jailbroken iPhone; I just want to get 2.0/2.0.1 ASAP and not brick my iPhone.

Can anyone help me out as soon as possible? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.