Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
This is a OMGWTH and anyone who has additional solutions / fixes / warnings please add on ...

I had an XS Max running iOS 13.3.1 public beta. I was never really happy with this device so I was able to trade it in for an iPhone 11 Pro Max. I backed up the data both in iCloud and locally on my MB. Cool and good to go.

But I wasn't.

Got the Pro. Activated it and updated the OS to 13.3. So far so good. Then I reached out to my MB and wanted to utilize the save from my XS Max. Surprise Surprise - not compatible. So I reached out to the iCloud. Second surprise - not compatible. Heck, I went back to the last backup of my XS Max on 13.3. Not compatible.

Figured it might be the fact the Pro was not a public beta and on 13.3.1. Okay, so I fixed that and it is now on public beta. Went back to the backup on my MB. Third surprise - not compatible. Onto the iCloud. Fourth surprise - not compatible.

A call to Apple .... chuckle. That was beyond useless. The final recommendation was to set it up as new or bring both in to the nearest Apple Store. Maybe they can do something.

So basically it looks as if the backup of my XS Max, public release or beta release, is not compatible with the Pro.

I now have a Pro Max redone from scratch having lost all data from my XS Max. I have the original backups. Just that nothing is compatible with my new Pro.

As a side note, I took the wiped XS Max and it had no problem with the XS max backup from the MB. Or the iCloud.

Crazy ride and the most fracked up migration I have had with an iPhone or iPad in quite a while.
Any suggestions are welcome. I have a few days before I have to turn the XS in.

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
Wait, first you said the Pro was on 13.3, but then you said it was on 13.3.1? Why would the Pro be on 13.3.1 at any point in this process?

Edit: Wait, I think I see what you're trying to say :D

Are you sure the XSMax backup was a clean 13.3, no beta? If it was, I don't know why it didn't work :confused:

Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Wait, first you said the Pro was on 13.3, but then you said it was on 13.3.1? Why would the Pro be on 13.3.1 at any point in this process?

Are you sure the XSMax backup was a clean 13.3, no beta? If it was, I don't know why it didn't work :confused:
Yea when I got my Pro Max, my XS Max was on 13 beta. But once I put the beta on my Pro Max, the transfer went fine. Did they move from Beta 1 to 2 or 3 between the time you did the backup on the XS Max and putting the Pro Max on Beta?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014

I had one of each.
The latest was beta from 1/22
The 13.3 clean was from a week and a half prior.

Pro - Clean 13.3 - beta b/u and clean b/u - neither worked.
Pro - Beta - beta b/u and clean b/u - neither worked.

Tried 'em both ways. ;)
[automerge]1579821763[/automerge]
Yea when I got my Pro Max, my XS Max was on 13 beta. But once I put the beta on my Pro Max, the transfer went fine. Did they move from Beta 1 to 2 or 3 between the time you did the backup on the XS Max and putting the Pro Max on Beta?

The b/u was beta 2. That may very well be the issue for the beta's as the current is beta 3.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I had one of each.
The latest was beta from 1/22
The 13.3 clean was from a week and a half prior.

Pro - Clean 13.3 - beta b/u and clean b/u - neither worked.
Pro - Beta - beta b/u and clean b/u - neither worked.

Tried 'em both ways. ;)
[automerge]1579821763[/automerge]

The b/u was beta 2. That may very well be the issue for the beta's as the current is beta 3.
If you didn't turn in your XS Max yet, upgrade to beta 3, backup again, and then restore on Pro Max.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
If you didn't turn in your XS Max yet, upgrade to beta 3, backup again, and then restore on Pro Max.

That was exactly the issue. I restored my XS Max, updated to B3, backed up, then restored the Pro using the B3 backup.

That really seems strange that I could not use the B2 backup for a restore. More so that I could not use an older 13.3 to 13.3 non-beta for a restore.

I now feel a bit more for those that run into these restore issues.

Thanks to all for your help. :)

ram130

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
New York
Don’t forget your apps notifications gonna be disabled until you open each one again. I hate this bug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.