Migrating information from one mac to another

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chantalt, Dec 10, 2009.

1. chantalt macrumors newbie

I've followed the steps to migrate the info from my work mac to my MacBook, but have copied over absolutely everything. It has meant that my original address book is now blank and I am unsure what other programs may have been affected. I am unsure whether to migrate the information back to the work mac and clean up the macbook and start again. Can someone advise me - but in layman's terms as I do not understand technical words!

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I've noticed that in some very rare cases, when using Migration Assistant, it may move your stuff to a different location.

Check your hard drive (by clicking the Finder's icon on the left side of the Dock at the bottom of the screen, and in the window that opens, there should be an option for "Macintosh HD" on in the sidebar on the left side of the window) and see if there's any folders there. They may say something like "Users (from old Mac)" or "Applications (from old Mac)"... something along those lines.

If there are folders that have those names, your files are inside of them. More specifically, your personal stuff (documents, pictures, etc.) would be in the folder called "Users (from old Mac)". You would need to take the files out of the "old Mac" folder and put them into their respective, new folders.

Meaning, for example, that you would need to take your "Documents" folder from your old Mac, and drag all the files out of it and into the new "Documents" folder on your new Mac. Does that make sense?

The same would go for your Pictures (just take the contents of the "old Mac" folder and drop them into your new Pictures folder), and your Music, and anything else.