Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Petulka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
Hey,
is it possible to migrate all my installed programs and saved files from 15 rMBP to new 13 rMBP? All I have is one external HDD and I don't want to bother with setting up everything again. Could someone answer or point me somewhere?
Thanks

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Do a Time Machine backup of the old machine to your external drive. Connect the drive to your new computer. If it's brand new and you're setting it up for the first time, then just follow the prompts and it will import everything from Time Machine.

Otherwise just run the Migration Assitant App (in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder) on the new machine. This has worked really well for me on my last two upgrades. Moved everything, all my files, programs, settings, even the arrangement of icons on the desktop. And it is smart enough to know which system files to move from the old machine and which system files to leave alone on the new machine. ;)

esskay

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
Do those procedures work if your old machine is on an older OS (eg Lion on a cMBP) going to a new rMBP? TIA

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
I did a time machine restore from my old Snow Leopard Macbook White 2009 to my newer Mountain Lion 2012 MBP 15. Just followed the prompts and everything (files, apps, settings) were perfectly transferred. It even showed the few apps which would not work in ML.

Petulka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
Okay, so it's as easy as just backing up with time machine? Does the external HDD have to be empty and formated or can I have some files on there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.