Migrating iPhone to a new Mac

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thomasp, Jul 8, 2009.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

I recently upgraded my old PowerBook to a MacBook Pro and am wondering the best way to migrate all my iPhone 3G stuff (backups, apps, photos, etc) over from the PB to the MBP without losing everything on my phone the next time I synch it with the MBP.

Is it just a simple case of dragging & dropping the iTunes folder from the PB onto the MBP?

Thanks for the help :)

2. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Hopefully, you've been doing regular backups of your PowerBook. I've always transferred all my data from my old Mac to the new Mac via external hard drive. If you have the old PowerBook you can transfer everything via firewire also, but I find that the external hard drive is the easiest, the new Mac will prompt you to choose another Mac from your backup or external hard drive. It'll have your iPhone backups and settings....:cool::cool::cool:

4. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've already set up the new MBP though and didn't do it via target disk mode (since there was an awful lot of junk and incompatible stuff on the PB I didn't want cluttering up the MBP!).

All I need to know is which folder to transfer from the PB to the MBP in order to have all my iPhone settings, backups and everything on the MBP, so when I synch it for the first time to the MBP, the iPhone doesn't get wiped or anything stupid like that.

5. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

/Users/yournamehere/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup is where your iPhone backups are stored.

Copy over that folder along with your iTunes folder.

If your contacts/calendars are not being synced with exchange or mobileme, then you will also want to copy them over too. You can do this by doing a File > Export and File > Import in both Address Book and iCal.

6. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I have the same question except for the PC. What folder should I transfer to my external hard drive so that iTunes is the exact same way on my new computer as it was on my old one?

I'm using Windows XP.

7. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

Call Apple maybe, if you authorize your new Mac to use your account, it might just sync it instead of wiping it the first time. Also just tell it to check for purchases to get all your apps.

8. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cheers for the reply, will try that and report back :)