Migrating iPhoto library (old MBP) to Photos (new rMBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by batsun, Apr 14, 2015.

1. batsun macrumors newbie

Morning all,

I'm currently in the process of setting up my new rMBP and I'm looking at my options for migrating and managing my photo library. Here's the info about both laptops and libraries:

Old MBP (mid-2009)

OSX 10.10.2
    iPhoto 9.6 (i.e. working, not unavailable due to removal from app store)
    50 GB photo library (organised into events, place data for most photos but no faces data - kept slowing down my machine when it tried to update the database)

New rMBP (2015)

OSX 10.10.3 (updated straight out of the box)
    iPhoto (accessible by launching through the file structure of the iPhoto package but was never upgraded to be compatible with Yosemite)
    Photos (currently haven't done anything yet with it)

- I have copied the "iPhoto Library" to my external HDD and I also have a time machine backup of the old MBP on the other partition of that HDD
    - Whilst I haven't deleted or edited any files within the iPhoto library package (don't want to corrupt my library) there seems to be a lot of photos that I had previously deleted from my library in the "originals" folders.

What I am hoping for and am asking advice for is the following:

1. Best way to import my photo database (i.e. update old MBP to 10.10.3 and convert to photos or import from HDD into new rMBP)

2. Any way of condensing my library to contain only the files that are seen in the iPhoto app? I don't really need to have every original, my partner tends to take a lot of duplicate and triplicate photos and we edit the best one

3. Is there a better photo management app/tool for 10.10.3? I only use minimal editing features (enhance, red-eye, cropping) and would prefer to have only the most recent copy of a photo in high quality, I would then just create time machine backups

Thankyou all for taking time to read through this, hopefully it is clear enough

2. Evren Carven macrumors regular

Evren Carven

3. Is there a better photo management app/tool for 10.10.3? I only use minimal editing features (enhance, red-eye, cropping) and would prefer to have only the most recent copy of a photo in high quality, I would then just create time machine backups

You may try to find a photo management app in Mac App Store by searching ‘photo’ or you can go to the categories to view all the photo management app. The category for photo app is ‘Graphics & Design’ or ‘Photography’.