Migrating iTunes: W7 to OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BarkingGhost, Oct 26, 2011.

1. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

Morning All,

I the quest to be better prepared I need to learn how to migrate the wife's iTunes from her currently installed Windows 7 (on a PC) to an OSX computer, presumably running Lion (iMac/mini not purchased yet).

The only thing she has going on in her W7 iTunes is the iPad (original) and iPod Nano (current version) and all of her ripped music, which was ripped via iTunes.

Since the forthcoming iMac or mini will be replacing her current W7PC, I need to find out what the steps are and anything I should be aware of to set my expectations accordingly. :)

2. BarkingGhost thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe this needs to be in a difference sub-forum. 192 views and no replies. :confused: Moderator, please feel free to relocate as deemed needed. :)

3. waynep macrumors 6502

GGJstudios posted good info . . .

I moved from Win to Mac in Jan, including my iTunes Library.

I copied my iTunes folder to a external hard drive. Then basically dropped it on the iTunes window. Before doing this I changed the default in iTunes to copy my music into the library folder, organized it for me. I had to resubscribe to my podcasts but I wanted to clean those up anyways.

4. BarkingGhost thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, GGJstudios, for the reference info. I'll be checking it out shortly.

Waynep, why did you do this instead of sharing the iTunes folder and migrating it directly over a network? Was speed considerations involved?

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You can do that just as well, just make sure that whatever method you choose, you move the entire iTunes folder, or you'll lose sync information as well as playlists and organization.

jW