Migrating Macbook Pro Classic to new Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Applelad, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Applelad macrumors member

Basically, rather than re-build my computer from scratch (re-install all my apps etc) I would like to clone my current hard disk to a Retina disk.

My idea is to put my SSD from my Macbook Pro into a thunderbolt case, boot the retina up on this and then clone my disk to the Retina's disk using SuperDuper.

That's the theory but I can't seem to get past first base of booking the Retina up from the Thunderbolt port (using the SSD from my classic Macbook Pro (running 10.9.2)). It starts to boot but then get stuck on the swirling wait icon thing.

Anyone any thoughts?

2. SarcasticJoe Suspended

SarcasticJoe

The old machine's drive won't have the drivers to run your new machine, so that's just not going to work...

What I do when I get a new computer is that I update my time machine backup and during the setup process of the new machine (the OSX setup process has a dedicated step for just this) use it to restore my account, settings, files and applications.

3. Applelad thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, that makes sense.

4. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I just made the switch to my new MBP yesterday. While transitioning to a new computer can take some time, I think it is worth it to do as clean an install as possible. In my experience, Migration Assistant can cause all kinds of odd issues, so I would avoid it.

I would recommend, boosting your old Mac into Target Disk Mode, then drag and drop your Home Folder, reinstall fresh as many applications as possible, and then go through your /User/Library folder to move things like plugins, etc. Pay special attention to apps that store things internally.

Then test every app to make sure it opens. Best of luck!

5. Applelad thread starter macrumors member

I know where you are coming from but I haven't done a clean install for about 10 years now and I l like to think it runs as efficiently as possible. I've got a complicated setup but I keep it clean so I really want to avoid doing a fresh install if I can. Thanks anyway though.

6. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Just do a Time Machine backup or use Carbon Copy Cloner. I've used both methods on multiple macs in the last four years, including just a few months ago cloning my 2010 Macbook Air (Core 2 Duo) to a new 13 rMBP. Only one issue with a driver, an older Canoscan Lide 210 Scanner.
    Oh, and OP, I do the same thing. I get a Mac running a certain way and optimized and I keep it like that for years. This particular image that I have now has been going with carefully planned upgrades since a 2007 imac. Notice i said carefully planned.