Migrating Mail from 10.6 to 10.7 without Migration Assistant

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by madonionrings, Aug 11, 2011.

1. madonionrings macrumors member

I recently had to swap my system in and my new one came with Lion. Is there a way to implement my old mail into Lion without migration assistant? All I saved was my 'mail' and 'mail downloads' directory from my library folder. Does Lion even have a library folder to put these back into? This method worked fine for me from one 10.6 system to another 10.6 system

Please help! I need my mail back!

2. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

Not an expert with this, but if you can't do it through MobileMe, or if it's not an IMAP/ Exchange account so you can't just import the messages from the server, how about exporting the mailboxes through Mailbox>Export, transferring onto the other computer on a USB key or similar and then just importing the mbox files?

3. madonionrings thread starter macrumors member

I no longer have my old computer running 10.6 to export like that. I just copied the entire mail folder from the library location and though that would work. Anyone have an idea of how to make this work?

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Just dump them back into the same place in your user Library folder. Note that Lion hides the Library folder by default so just open up the Terminal app (use Spotlight) and type "open ~/Library" (without the quotes and exactly as shown) and it will open the correct folder for you to dump the files into.