Migrating miniSAS RAID array to new Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cbt3, Dec 21, 2015.

1. cbt3 macrumors member

I have a 2011 Mac with a ARC-1800x PCIe Raid controller hooked up to a miniSAS SanDigital tower with a 12TB RAID6 array; I am upgrading to a new Mac Pro, with only thunderbolt ports. I have a OWC Helios 2 to support the PCIe card and want to use the old array in the new computer. When I put the old card in the new computer will it simply read the array no problem? Or will I have to recreate the whole array from scratch? I have about 10TB of data on the array and I would like to avoid the time of creating an additional copy if necessary.

2. cbt3 thread starter macrumors member

3. AidenShaw, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015

AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Make a copy if you don't have a full backup - hardware RAID controllers can be quirky.

Even if it *should* work, it might get confused if there's a slipup. (I recently reconfigured a server with a 6 drive RAID RAID-6 array. I didn't seat one of the 4-lane SAS connections properly, so 4 drives didn't show. I shutdown, connected the cable and rebooted. The volume was now "FAILED, UNUSABLE". Fortunately, the online RAID configuration utility had a manual override to force it to "GOOD". The BIOS level utility considered it dead.)

4. cbt3 thread starter macrumors member

In case anyone is looking for answers to the same question; yes, it just worked no problem, I just needed to install the new mRaid drivers on the new machine. Still did the full backup just in case.

5. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

So, how did you backup 10TB of Data?

6. cbt3 thread starter macrumors member

Over 4 different Hard drives,