Migrating MobileMe email but not as primary iCloud login

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by LixLev, Oct 11, 2011.

1. LixLev macrumors regular

I've looked through the forum and haven't been able to find an answer so was wondering if someone could clear this up for me.

I have an email that I use to purchase things from iTunes which is also my work/professional email address. I also have a MobileMe email that is my personal email address.

I want my iCloud login to be my work email, but I also want to keep my MobileMe address. From what I've read, migrating the MobileMe email makes it your iCloud login which I don't want. I simply want it to be the @me address that would be associated with my iCloud which I would log into with my iTunes AppleID that I Currently use (my work email).

Is this possible (hope this makes sense)?

2. 3Pedals6Speeds macrumors member

There has to be a way to deal with this, because you cannot have your me.com email as your Apple ID. I know because I just tried to convert from my non-me.com email address to me.com, and it specifically said that me.com addresses cannot be Apple ID's. If this is the case, they have to have a migration path that allows what you're wanting to do.

3. Broric macrumors regular

I'm in exactly the same situation. Please update this with whatever you end up doing :)

4. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Same situation here...

Sure wish apple would address this specifically.

5. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

You can have more than one iCloud account.

I currently have my main non @me email address as my main iCloud account. This has all the iCloud feature including photostream, documents and data etc.

I have also converted my MobileMe account to iCloud and this appears as a regular email account.

Both coexist quite happily.

6. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Most helpful answer to date! Thanks

7. LixLev thread starter macrumors regular

So for me, I reckon the best thing would be to migrate my mobileme account and use that as my iCloud, and just continue to use my other ID/email address for my music/apps/books purchases? and this will all work fine and dandy?

8. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes it will work.

Remember to back up your contacts, calendars etc. as these get wiped during the conversion process.

Make sure you read and follow the instructions at http://me.com/move.

9. LixLev thread starter macrumors regular

They get wiped?!? What about my emails? I know how to back up contacts, but how do I back up calendars?

10. toadfan5 macrumors newbie

I think This is Ridiculous

I had an Itunes account before Mobile Me was even around. Then , when Mobile me came out, I couldn't use my existing Itunes account and started a new login.

Now with Icloud, I can only have one account and they won't merge. This is ridiculous!!!

So - if I migrate with the Itunes associated account - I won't have access to my email, and if I migrate with my mobile me, I won't have access to my Itunes purchases.

Maintaining 2 accounts is crazy. Why can't apple fix this? I mean, THEY CREATED THE PROBLEM. The problem exists because I have been a customer for so long!

11. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

This is all a little bit confusing.

As others, I had a general email (I use @gmail.com) which was set up as my Apple ID. Last spring, I purchased a mobileme.com account so I could keep my calendars, contacts, etc. synced across multiple computers / multiple iOS devices.

My account for purchasing things from the iTunes store, and my "Apple ID" for all apple associated purposes is _________@gmail.com

My account for keeping my calendars, contacts, etc. synced across 4 computers, an iPhone, and an iPad is __________@me.com

[I should also note - I have my _________@me.com set up on my wife's computer, iPhone, etc. so that we can keep our family schedules all put together on one account]

What I would really like to do is merge them so that one account/email controls everything, including my calendars, contacts, etc.

I guess a trip to the genius might be in order to help figure all this out.

12. toadfan5 macrumors newbie

I am being told this is not possible.... and its exactly what I want to do as well. I was on hold for apple support on the phone for 45 min... just to be told it is not possible and to email mobile me support. Then I went on their mobile me chat support text feature online. Its been an hour and I am being told the same thing.

What a disaster.

13. ophidean macrumors member

This is all so confusing. My Mobile me and itunes account are the same login name? Is that an issue when I transfer over to iCloud?

14. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

In that case you'll keep a single login for everything. You MobileMe account will stay the same, but then be called iCloud. And you'll still use that login as your Apple ID in iTunes.

15. Starhawk macrumors regular

Starhawk

I've been trying to figure this out as soon as iCloud was announced early this summer. The answer has never changed from Apple. The only glimmer of hope that I've heard is when someone emailed Tim Cook, and he had someone from the Apple ID team to contact the user. They said they were aware of the problem, were working on it, but didn't have a solution in place.

My idea was to call or chat with Mobile Me support, see if I can cancel my Mobile Me account, therefor freeing up my username, and then singing up my main Apple ID with that now available username.

It might be risky because I don't know how long it would take for the name to get back in the pool of available usernames, and if the timing is wrong, someone else could end up with the email address that I use regularly. I hope support would be able to help if I went this route.

16. eyephoney macrumors newbie

Wow!

So by the sounds of things if iTunes/Mobile me users have different email addresses for each (I use hotmail for my iTunes and will use mobile me for iCloud) this will mean I won't have access to my music on iCloud when migrating my MM account? Wow ... what a disaster !! How are we supposed to live .... why haven't Apple thought of this !!?

Please fellow posters keep us all updated if/when a solution is found !! Until then I will refrain from migrating !!

17. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Just wanted to throw my hat in the ring as yet another person in the exact same situation. Gmail is my Apple ID account and then I have a separate mobileme account for syncing everything, and had truly hoped there would be a way to merge it into one stable account. You shouldn't have to have 2 iCloud accounts to retain functionality but that's how it's looking now. :(

The only other thing I've heard people mention with any possibility of keeping things moderately simple is to just migrate your iTunes account into iCloud and then import your contacts/calendar/etc manually. Mobileme would stay separate until it disappears next year, and the main iCloud account would still hold everything important.

I still don't understand why iCloud is removing a number of key mobileme features, such as keychain and preference syncing, it just seems like a big step backwards to me. I know there are some improvements, but everyone seems to be bashing mobileme and I don't understand why they're in such a rush to abandon it. :confused:

18. lsixecho macrumors newbie

I think one can do what you guys are asking. I'm pretty sure I've done it. See if this is what you are saying:

I have an Apple ID I use for iTunes related stuff and that is my primary email address _________@gmail.com.

Then I have a MobileMe account that I use for keeping contacts and calendars in sync. ___________@me.com

I used my iPhone to set it up but you could use your computer as well. I had my MobileMe account set up to sync contacts and calendars.

Check that they are downloaded and available on your phone or comp.

Then on the phone turn off syncing in settings. On the Comp use system prefs. It will ask if you want to keep a local copy and you DO!

Then you turn on iCloud gmail contacts and calendars and it will ask if you want to merge them. You DO!

After some time it will upload all your calendars and contacts to iCloud and they will be available for other devices to download.

On the computer it's one more step. The contacts will stay but it wants to delete the calendars so you'll have to go to ical and make an archive (file>export>archive) then after you unsync from mobileme in system prefs you can import that archive and have all your calendars locally. Then when you sync to iCloud they will upload as the names you have in cal.

This is how I basically got rid of my need for MobileMe and put all my stuff on iCloud. the only thing you can't have is notes and email. but I don't use me.com email anyway and you can just sync notes through iTunes. photo stream, reminders, contacts, calendars, and everything else is on my gmail iCloud ID.