Migrating MS Office/other apps?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thefredelement, May 17, 2012.

1. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

I'm getting a new used MP early next week and am wondering about migrating from my Hackintosh.

I'm not sure if this device can start in target disk mode and doing it over the network would take forever. I'm thinking to just take out the drive with my user folder and apps and putting it in the new mac. I kind of don't want to just dump everything either, I'd like to really start fresh for the most part but am worried about an Amazon digital download of Microsoft Office (I'm not sure if it activates, or "attaches" to only one Mac, etc, so I want to make sure to do that right).

There are also a few games it'd be nice to save my place in, and now that if I can avoid re-downloading GBs from the app store, that'd be helpful.

Is there a way to just migrate a few apps manually from a hard drive I temporarily install in the new mac? And will they need to re-activate? I'd prefer not to spend another $84.99 (especially for Office).

Can I just pull the apps I want form the app folder on the old disk to the new app folder? Are there any preference files that need to be brought over and would using the Migration tool be better for this? If I use that, can I pick and choose what apps to bring?

Sorry for the rambling, nube questions...

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Use Migration assistent and move home folder account and apps over. You probably do not want to run your hackintosh system folder on a real Mac. MA walks you through it. SOme stuff may need to be tweaked.