Migrating my Mail to a new Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by james*b, Feb 9, 2015.

1. james*b macrumors regular

Hi

I have a quick question about migrating my emails stored in Mail to Mail on a new Mac.

Is it possible to create a clone of my existing setup?

I am particularly keen to retain all the folders and subfolders that I currently have, without having to reorganise these myself.

Thanks in advance!

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

If your mail provider is IMAP just sign on the new machine and allow it to download your folders and mail.

If it isn't IMAP and you have a TM backup then import the data from the TM backup.

If you don't have a TM backup then I'd suggest you make one and use as above, then you can continue with using TM if you like.

You could hack copy the data folders and file from within the app but I'm not sure how tidy/workable that would be.

Oh and another way would be to boot the new machine into Target Disk mode and use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old machine to the new. Once done restart the new machine as normal...

3. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Just copy two folders from your old Mac to the new one. These two folders are in the hidden Library folder of your Home folder.

From the Finder menu, select "Go" then press and hold down the alt/option key. This will reveal the hidden Library folder in your Home folder. Find and copy the Mail folder in there to the same location in your new Mac. By the way, this folder has a sub folder named V2 in it, which holds all your mail accounts. The second folder to copy is just under the Mail folder and it is named "Mail Downloads". As the name implies, it holds the mail attachments.

After doing this, start your Mail program and you will see all your accounts the same way as they are on your old Mac.