Migrating old hard drive to bigger hard drive (Fall 2008 unibody)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by vincenz, Jul 27, 2009.

1. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I have an aluminum unibody macbook from October 2008. I'm looking to upgrade the 160 GB hard drive inside to a 500 GB one I'm considering from Newegg. Would it be possible to migrate/copy/clone the entire contents of my current hard drive to the 500 GB one? I also have a section of my current hard drive partitioned for Bootcamp. Would this affect my ability to transfer everything over?

If this is possible at all, how can I go about doing so? If there are steps laid out somewhere, I'd appreciate a referral. Sorry if my question is a little elementary, but I did a search on these forums and also google and nothing really came up.

Thanks!

2. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

This is easily accomplished. Done it several times.

You'll need a way to 'clone' your internal drive, onto the new drive.

Get the new bare drive externally connected via USB. Using something like USB SATA Drive Dock

Then use Disk Utility to format the new drive into two partitions...One for OS X and One for the Bootcamp.

Then get a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner

Follow the directions to clone the internal drive to the external drive for each partition.

Put the external drive inside your unibody.

Double check everything and reboot.

Done....enjoy the extra space.

Some will say that you can use the Migration Assistant to do this. Never done it personally, as I was always using CCC way before Apple thought of Migration Assistant.

HTH.