Migrating old Mac Pro to new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Hmac, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Hmac macrumors 68020

Bought a new Mac Pro to replace my 1,1 (Snow Leopard). I use SuperDuper to regularly clone my Macintosh HD drive to a separate internal drive. Am I correct in assuming I can put that backup drive into one of the bays on the new Mac Pro and use Migration Assistant to pull all the stuff over?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, you should be able to do that
    In fact, you should be able to boot directly from it

3. akadmon macrumors 68020

Why go through the trouble? iLife, drivers? You should be able to boot from your backup drive and load iLife from the system CD of your new MP. Then just download the latest software updates.

4. Hmac thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the replies. The 2009 comes with a 640 gig 7200 rpm HDD, so I thought migrating might work better than just swapping drives since I want to keep that faster drive as the boot drive. Besides, I'm a little fuzzy on the consequences of booting a current-model Mac Pro from a drive that had been used in a 32 bit machine. Seems like migrating the old computer stuff to the new drive might be cleaner, as long as that's possible to do without adverse consequence.

As to iLife, I already have the disk (had to shell out for '09 since the version that came with the original Leopard wouldn't work under Snow Leopard).

5. Hmac thread starter macrumors 68020

Ah..didnt work. Put the backup drive in, used Migration Assistant to try to migrate it to the startup drive but MA kept hanging at 24 minutes left. I let it run for 3 hours on one attempt, but no joy. The machine boots and runs fine from the system backup drive as MacDawg predicted, so I'm just restoring the backup drive to the startup and we'll call it good.