Migrating Old MBP to New MBP without firewire

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ktraphagen, Jan 5, 2009.

1. ktraphagen macrumors newbie

I just received my new 15.4" MBP and want to transfer my documents, etc from my old 15.4" MBP. However, the old one only has a 400 Firewire and the new one only has an 800 Firewire and everybody seems to be out of 800/400 cables (including the Apple Store). I asked the Apple Store for alternative suggestions and they said to just order it online. But I couldn't find a place that had them in stock and could ship quickly. Besides, I want to set up the new laptop so I can use it! What other alternatives do I have for transferring files directly from one laptop to the other. Thanks,

Karyn

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Do you have the old one backed up via Time Machine or another external HDD USB backup?

3. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

4. T10HJS macrumors member

I got mine from eBay was only a few quid and arrived in 2 days.
    Or as advised above you can do it via ethernet or over a network.

5. ktraphagen thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have a Time Machine backup, but it also uses a 400 Firewire.

I will try the ethernet option. Do I need a specific type of ethernet cable or can I just use the one I use when connecting to the network at work? Do I start the old laptop in target mode with the ethernet connection or can I use the migration assistant with that?

Thanks

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Target Disk Mode is stictly Firewire.

IIRC I just grabbed whichever Ethernet cable I needed and used Migration Assistant. But first I Googled it.

7. B.A. macrumors regular

Use the ethernet cable and Bonjour via Cyberduck. Just did the same thing from my iMac to my new MBP and it worked great.

8. T10HJS macrumors member

hmm i thought you may have needed to use a crossover cable if you were doing a direct link up? but normal Ethernet if connecting to a Switch or Router then to the other Mac.

9. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I did this for my friend last week, she upgraded to the new aluminum macbook with no firewire port. I just used a regular ethernet cable from her old macbook to the new one and ran migration assistant. it was fast and easy.