Migrating only CS2 and Mail from PB G4 to MBP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by toksuede, Oct 25, 2007.

1. toksuede macrumors newbie

To anyone who can possibly help me:

My PB G4 is on its last 1/3 of the screen (I currently can only "see" 1/3 of the LCD screen, it's grim) and I am going to go for gold and get a MBP.

I would in reality like to transfer only Photoshop CS2 and all my email stuff from the PB G4 to the MBP. The rest of the apps I am going to reinstall. As for Photoshop, I will soon get the upgrade to CS3 and life will be easier in the Intel environment. The problem is that I lost my Photoshop CS code and I only own the code for CS2.

My questions is, by using the migration assistant, is it possible to migrate a single application as well as all my emails from my Mail app? My understanding is that when you use migration assistant, it's all or nothing: you either migrate everything on your previous mac to the next one or you have to use the target disk mode.

If the only way I can get around this is to use target disk mode, which files and folders do I have to move from the PB G4 to the MBP?

I'm sure this problem has been answered by someone at some time in these forums, but after searching far and wide, I can't seemed to find the answer.

Whomever has the expertise to help me, I thank you very much in advance.

Ryu

2. papplegate macrumors member

You should be able to move the actual application in Applications and any folders you can find in ~/Library/Application Support and ~/Library/Preferences, I would also look in the root directory for any references to the apps you want to move. Mail is ~/Library/Mail, but I do not know if you will have to "import" from the File menu in mail or if just copying the folder will "import" your mail. I do not have Leopard yet. Hope that helps some. Basic principal is copy any folder that references your app to the new system.