Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yymca6

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
Montréal QC
Maybe a silly question.
If I buy a new iMac with a 2TB HD + SSD, is the OS already installed on the SSD and will I be able to migrate only the apps on the SSD, thus using the HD for data?

maxinc

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Maybe a silly question.
If I buy a new iMac with a 2TB HD + SSD, is the OS already installed on the SSD and will I be able to migrate only the apps on the SSD, thus using the HD for data?

Most likely the OS will come pre-installed on the SSD.

ndraves

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2011
UK
The OS should be installed onto the SSD for you. Because of the way OSX is written I would suggest keeping your user data location to the default on the SSD. Then point things like iTunes to a "Media" folder on the 2TB HDD as well as other data intensive things.

This is because the user specific app data is kept in the users folder. So you will lose the benefit of the SSD if when launching apps you still have to wait for the HDD to spin up.

If you want to change the user data location it can be done in the advanced options (right click) on your account in System Pref.

yymca6

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
Montréal QC
OS on SSD?

Thanks for the answer.
I just checked the size of my Applications folder (27 gigs) but I have 800 gigs used on my 1 TB HD. That means my data will fill up the SSD.
Data is mostly music and pictures.
iTunes folder in Music folder is 256 gigs.

Codpeace

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
NYC
The OS should be installed onto the SSD for you. Because of the way OSX is written I would suggest keeping your user data location to the default on the SSD. Then point things like iTunes to a "Media" folder on the 2TB HDD as well as other data intensive things.

This is because the user specific app data is kept in the users folder. So you will lose the benefit of the SSD if when launching apps you still have to wait for the HDD to spin up.

If you want to change the user data location it can be done in the advanced options (right click) on your account in System Pref.
Hi, could you possible point me to further reading on your first two paragraphs here so I can understand them? Or maybe explain a little more if you are so inclined? I am a PC user looking to buy my first Mac, so I don't really follow your point. What is user data and how does it relate to an application (like iTunes) and how is it distinguished from, in this case, media data. I totally get the point of pointing an app to the media data it will use (music, video, .jpgs, etc.), just not how user data relates to this.

Thanks -- and definitely not looking to hijack the thread. It seemed reasonably on topic, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.