Migrating OS/Apps to new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cutterman, Aug 20, 2010.

1. cutterman macrumors regular

I am upgrading from a Mac Pro 2,1 to one of the new systems. I have a lot of apps and settings I don't want to redo/reinstall if possible. I understand that the new MP's come with a custom 10.6 install DVD.

Can I use the new install DVD to "upgrade" a cloned image of my current system and expect it to work? I also have drivers installed for an Areca 1221 raid card. Does the upgrade remove those drivers?

Thanks

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

As a general rule of thumb, most any new machine is going to come with its own custom install of the OS. The key exception is when there's been a major update to the OS since the machine started shipping. That is, if the machine originally shipped with 10.5, but 10.6 has since started shipping.

So, your options are:

a) Use the migration assistant to transfer your data from your old Mac to the new Mac. This includes apps and settings.
    b) Wait for the next minor point release and then simply image the drive from the old machine.
    c) Try your idea and see if it works. It probably will, since it's a NEWER version of the OS. It wouldn't if it were an OLDER version--that is, if you install 10.6.5 and THEN try.

3. eponym macrumors 6502

Just use the Migration Assistant. It's really easy.

But when you set up the new Pro at the start, don't use your normal Admin account name. Use a new/generic name. It won't let you bring over the old user if you're already logged in as one with the same name ;)

4. cutterman thread starter macrumors regular

5. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Actually its always best to do a clean fresh install on a new machine. Yes its a hassle but you will have a perfectly functioning machine without any errors. Considering you will be using it for the next several years, its worth a few hours of your time. Why build on a shaky foundation ;) Plus there are ways to speed up a clean install but yet retain the feel and looks of the system. You basically need to copy over configuration files of each application that you want to look and feel exactly the same so you dont have to tinker with settings later on, and installing the apps themselves should be a breeze on the new MP.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, you can do this. I've done it on my past couple of machine b/c I'm lazy. Boot from the DVD and hit install and away you go.

I've decided not to do it this way this time though. My machine is way to cluttered with orphaned files and such so I'm going to grind though a clean install of everything, including apps. I'll then using Migration Asst. to copy over my Docs files. Video, pics, and music is already on separate drive so only need to relink them to appropriate app.

7. skiffx macrumors 6502a

ln -s works fine for you and icons show up under the places in the Finder no problem?

8. cutterman thread starter macrumors regular

Follow up

I stuck a drive in the new machine with my old system on it and booted it to see what would happen. It booted up fine except it only detected one of the 2 monitors.

I then booted the pre-installed OS and ran the migration assistant, copying everything. Worked great, even copied the drivers for my Areca raid card.