Migrating PC Harddisk to Bootcamp... ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bunker, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Bunker macrumors member

I have a dead PC with Win 7 installed but the harddisk is good.

I wanted to migrate the harddisk to a Bootcamp partition on my Mac, rather than getting another PC.

Been searching around the internet but found nothing much on this, the closest was WinClone. However, WinClone only backup the Bootcamp partition and restore to it.

Any methods you have done before to share?

Thanks in advance!!

2. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

I would recommend going the vmware (fusion) route. if you can bootup that hard disk on another PC, use the agent that comes with vmware and then suck that OS into a vmware session. I actually just did that.

3. Bunker thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.. but that's the last option I wanted to do. I have some need to run XP Mode in Win 7 and that will only work under Bootcamp.

4. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I don't see why winclone (http://www.twocanoes.com/winclone/) wont work.

Just pop the hd in, make a clone. Make a boot camp partition then launch winclone and restore that clone image to the bootcamp partition.

I have never used it on an actual windows drive only boot camp.. But I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

5. Bunker thread starter macrumors member

The PC harddisk is a 3.5" harddisk and I can't just pop it into the Macbook Pro. I will try to get an external enclosure to winclone it. Hopefully it will work.

In the mean time, if any kind soul had done this before, please share your experience.

6. larkost macrumors 6502a

Once you get an external enclosure you should be able to boot form it externally. Windows will probably complain about the licensing (since you have changed the hardware significantly), and there is the potential that your on-disk OS does not include the needed hardware drivers for your Mac. But these are all Windows problems rather than "bootcamp" ones.