Migrating PC to Mac - iTunes and syncing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Niko03, May 23, 2010.

1. Niko03 macrumors regular

Hi All - Just bought my first Mac. I have an iPod nano, two ipod touches and an iPhone syncing in iTunes on my old PC. I'm leary about the transfer to the mac so I don't have to start from scratch with all the iDevices.

Any suggestions for making it go smoothly?
    Or does just copying your Itunes folder over really just work that easily?

Thanks for your help

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Copy the iTunes folder which has all the data you need (music, album art, apps etc) and then paste it to User/Music/iTunes before launching iTunes for the first time

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

4. Niko03 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks HellHammer!

One other question. I have multiple accounts on my old PC for my wife and kids. I'm setting up the mac the same way.

Right now My wife's ipod syncs from her user's account's iTunes. I don't want duplicate music files, so after I transfer my itunes over to the mac do I just move the media/Music folder to the shared drive so all of us can access one itunes library?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

System Preferences -> Sharing -> Check "File sharing" -> Click + and add your iTunes folder

Remember to turn of coping in iTunes (iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Uncheck "Copy files to iTunes Media -folder when added to library")

6. Niko03 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - Can you explain in a little more detail?