Migrating Photos and music MacPro to Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Doodle26, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Doodle26 macrumors newbie

:confused:
    I am currently migrating thru ethernet my files from my macbook pro to my mac book. I only want to migrate my photos and music. Right now a calculating screen is appearing. I have two questions:

1. How long will the process take?
    2. Is it transferring all the files right now? Or after this screen will I be able to specifically have the option to go thru and select what to transfer?

I visited the mac genius bar to which he said I could just transfer photos and music this way, it being the easiest option. He didnt decribe the process past connecting the two computers and choosing which option i wanted to transfer. I just dont want all of my friends excess files on my computer when I am only looking to get the photos and music.

Thanks!

2. jlindley macrumors newbie

You're asking a very vague question...

1. It depends how large the 'music' and 'photos' files are.

2. Yes, once it completes calculating then it will begin copying the files. And no, you will not be able to pick and choose. It will copy the whole folder.

I would suggest combing through each particular folder and hand selecting the files that you want. I find it easiest to put a new folder on the desktop and dragging and dropping the files that I want. Once I am finished then I move that folder to the new destination...

3. Doodle26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, sorry for the vague question I am new to this entire process and I am trying to work thru.

So it is not transferring every single file that is on the Macbook Pro over right now correct? I will be able to Choose which folders to transfer over after the calculating process is thru?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

:confused:

Anyway, Ethernet is pretty fast. It should be done (or at least reporting a time estimate) by the time you read this. Patience, grasshopper. It's copying a lot of files over a network. It'll take some time.