Migrating Photos, Disk to Disk

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by n0d3, Apr 21, 2009.

1. n0d3 macrumors regular

Basically I've got a couple of hundred gigs of photos on one disk (plus backups on another blah).

So I'm thinking of reworking my storage options which requires me to migrate photos from Disk A to a new Disk B. I have a dualbay firewire enclosure so I'll probably copy the files with the two drives in there.

The thing is, how do I ensure data integrity? I want to make sure the data I have eventually on Disk B at the end of the copy is exactly the same as Disk A. What do you guys recommend? CCC?

2. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

md5

Make md5 sums for all the photos on Disk A, copy the photos over to Disk B, then compare the md5 sums against the copied photos.
    When I archive photos to DVDs I always add md5 sums to each directory of photos and verify the burn by checking against the md5 sums. Of course, for archiving I burn three copies of each DVD and verify every copy before doing any deleting.

3. n0d3 thread starter macrumors regular

Does CCC do this on the fly?

Producing MD5 hashsums for everything seems a bit impractical.

4. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

No idea what CCC is, sorry.

It's one click per directory. I have a script that generates a file with md5 sums for all files in that directory. I have another script for checking against saved md5 sums that works recursively. So in general I do one click per directory to generate them and one click per DVD to check them.