Migrating PST files and NTFS data to a Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by carrollf, Apr 3, 2009.

1. carrollf macrumors regular

carrollf

My parents are biting the bullet eventually and getting an iMac to replace their crappy Dell. However, can they easily do the following:
    1. Migrate their Outlook PST files into Mail?
    2. Copy their data from a backup external harddrive that was saved to it from Windows (so in NTFS file system)?

Please advise as not being able to do either of the above would be a show-stopper. Thanks

2. windels macrumors regular

windels

I don't know about the first. but I do know dat Mac OSX can READ ntfs so transfering your files shoudn't be too difficult. also, their is this app called macfuse which you can use to write to NTFS . you can easily find more about it if you search in this forum.

good luck!

3. stomer macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird can import from Outlook, but only through MAPI. So you actually have to have Outlook running to perform the import. Once you have your mail in Thunderbird, you'll be able to have Mail.app import directly from Thunderbird's mbox format or you can copy your mail to an IMAP server and setup the same IMAP server in Mail.app.

PST files are evil.

4. Lorenzo Muan macrumors newbie

In theory you can import files by using a middle agent - either thunderbird or eudora. In practice, it's a nightmare and isn't guaranteed to work fully.

at least that's my experience!

L.

5. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

I have been a user of Outlook for a long time and have thousands of contacts in the program.

Transferring or converting .PST files are no simple process and not recommended.

A more simple way to transfer the Outlook data is to use MobileMe syncing, but that will cost $99 ($79 with the purchase of a new Mac).

As far as transferring other data from their PC, that will not be a problem. The easiest way to do it is if you have an external drive. Format that to FAT and transfer Documents, Pictures, Movies, etc. to the external FAT drive. The Mac will be able to read FAT with no problems or 3rd party software needed.

6. admwright macrumors regular

When I migrated I used O2M from littlemachines. It exports your mail and then you just copy it over to the Mac. Worked perfectly for me, mail, attatchments, contacts all transfered over.