Migrating RAID5 from 2006 Mac Pro to 2008 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fluffyroo, Sep 14, 2008.

1. fluffyroo macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have a question regarding migrating my RAID5 (4x320GB drives) to my new Mac Pro when it gets here. I'll be going from the 2.66 Quad to the 2.8 8-core. So the question is, will I have any issues moving my RAID card and RAID5 to the new machine? I installed the RAID card and the drives myself so I know my way around the Mac Pro, I just need to make sure my RAID won't have issues in the new Mac Pro. If anyone has any personal experience with this, any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. matt321 macrumors member

Do you have an extra drive? I would setup Leopard on a dummy external drive to boot from and configure the raid card in your new mac pro. Then I would make sure the raid card could see you old Raid 5 setup before trying to just boot from it.

3. fluffyroo thread starter macrumors newbie

Well yes I have extra drives, and the base model Mac Pro comes with a 320GB drive as well. I'll also be purchasing 5x1TB drives for the new machine, one of which I'll transfer the data from the RAID set to.

The reason I'm asking this is because of my policy on my home owners insurance, they need to collect the old machine before I'm written a check for the new one. So I won't have both machines at once.

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Wow.. sounds like a cool thing to do!

Can't give you any help through experience, but I will want to urge you to get some external (FW 800 preferred) 1 TB HD to do a backup! :eek:

I wouldn't try such a move without a complete backup.

5. fluffyroo thread starter macrumors newbie

Well Actually I'll be using the Newertech ODD SATA to e-SATA adapter in my new mac pro for backups. I'm also interested in getting an extra iPass connector to utilize the four port sata chipset on the motherboard, allowing me to have four more drives on the machine. Not sure If i'll have four laptop drives in the spare optical bay, or have a four port e-sata panel coming out the back of my machine. In any event, it should be a neat project.