Migrating Shared Apple ID to iCloud Family Sharing Question

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Coolmatt49, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Coolmatt49 macrumors member

So, I've tried searching around for an answer to this question but I can't seem to find an exact answer.

My family has been sharing a single Apple ID for all purchases and content. We then each have our own Apple IDs for iCloud. I'm interested in migrating over to Family Sharing. With Family Sharing, I noticed that one person signs up to be the organizer (i.e. myself). If I select the organizer in the Family Sharing menu it shows an account that's to be used to share all purchased content. What's interesting is this account can be different from the organizer's Apple ID account.

My question is, can I use the currently shared Apple ID account as the purchasing account and the proceed to use my personal Apple ID (the organizer account) credentials to download Apps? This way, if I understand correctly, I would have access to all the content purchased previously using the shared Apple ID and then future purchases could be separated based on individual Apple IDs listed under Family Sharing.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Every family member needs to sign out of your iTunes account on their devices and sign in to there own. They can use there iCloud account for this.

Once this is done you just invite them to family sharing then they have access to your apps and can download their own

Be careful if you have children with an adult iTunes account as they can purchase what they like without inputting your password.