Migrating to a larger SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by alphaod, Feb 5, 2012.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I purchased a new SSD upgrade for my MacBook Air as I was running low on free space.

I'm having an issue here where I'm not sure how to move my OS X installation from my current drive to a new one. My usual solution is to either use Time Machine or CCC, but I have neither a Time Machine backup, nor can I physically copy my disk using CCC (since the MacBook Air SSD uses a unique connector).

One of the things I considered is to use CCC and clone my boot drive to a USB external HDD and then boot from that drive and CCC back to the built-in drive after it's been upgraded. However I'm not sure how well this would work, mainly due to the next part: I already messed up two previous upgrades on other computers because I forgot to migrate the Lion Recovery partition, so for my MacBook Air, I'd like to avoid forgetting that, and migrate everything over.

What's are folks thoughts on this?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Backup current system with time machine on a USB drive. Install new SSD, boot from time machine, select restore from time machine, profit!

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Get the latest beta of Carbon Copy Cloner. It has new tools that will move your recovery partition over to the new drive.

5. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes, I just migrated my old SSD to my new one with CCC and it prompted me before it copied my boot drive. It told me to use their utility to clone the recovery partition first. It was quite easy to do.

Everything works great now, not to mention this computer flies.