Migrating to a new imac possibly

Discussion in 'iMac' started by brentg33, Apr 26, 2011.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

Hi all, like a lot of people.....im thinking of getting a new imac once the new ones are released. Im thinking i would want a SSD and 1 or 2 TB HHD set up. I would be migrating data from my older MBP. I want the OS and applications on the SSD but the itunes/iphoto data on the HDD. what would be the best way of going about all of this?

thanks

2. mackage macrumors 6502

I believe if you order the SSD + HDD option from Apple they install the OS and Apps on the SSD for you. Then when you transfer all your files over just make sure the directory is set to the HDD.

3. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, but how about my other 3rd party apps and files? Migration assistant or target disk mode and all my settings ?

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You should use Setup Assistant rather than Migration Assistant. The difference between the two is SA is more reliable and does not set up new accounts like MA does. I'd recommend studying Pondini's guide about Setup Assistant, it will make your migration pretty painless. You can find it at:

http://web.me.com/pondini/AppleTips/SetupAsst.html

5. ZeD X macrumors regular

If you are able to open your iMac and put an SSD, do it.

Apple SSD (Samsung) are slower and move expensive than other options in the market (the best are Intel, OCZ or Corsair).