Migrating to another Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bearcatrp, Sep 8, 2010.

1. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Sold my Mac pro. Made a clone to get my files when I get my new Mac mini. Can I attach that hard drive to the mini so I can use migration assistant to bring my iTunes and other programs over? The Mac pro was. 2008. The mini is the latest model. Thought about trying to boot from the external but not sure it would work.

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

How did you clone the volume?

I have only used the migration assistant with Time Machine so I don't know what will happen. If you used carbon copy cloner you should, unless you had specialized hardware like video capture cards etc., be able to clone the volume onto the new mini. The best case scenario for this is that the two computers use the same OS ie both are 10.5 or both 10.6.

Cheers

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

It works great with Migration assistant, I did this from my old G5 to my 2008 Mac Pro and it worked great. Just don't bring in old programs since big underlining changes were in 10.6.x. Just bring in network settings, pictures, documents, pictures, etc. With programs bookmark and consult the page Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard compatibility table to check your programs and get the latest updates for those programs.

4. bearcatrp thread starter macrumors 68000

Both are snow leopard. Used super duper. No special hardware. I just want to migrate iTunes and iPhoto. The rest I will install/copy. Wasn't sure if migration assistance required both macs physically be here to do this. Will try to boot from the external to see what happens. Forgot to export my bookmarks and to unauthorized iTunes.