Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Heya,

Has anyone attempted to migrate their iPhoto library to the iCloud photo library?

Since there's no desktop app yet, it's not a straight forward procedure. It's a real shame Apple didn't at least release a beta version of the desktop app now.

Anyhow, any smart ways of doing this?

EDIT: Found this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1777090/ over at the iOS 8 forum that discusses this as well.

Last edited:

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Nope, not yet. Need Yosemite first. And not trusting my photos to the public beta.

Having Yosemite is not enough, trust me. As the Photos app for Mac isn't coming until early 2015, the normal way isn't available.

As for trusting a beta, I'm not looking at as a 100% solution for now, not like I'd delete me iPhoto library if I'd managed to move all my pics. But would have like to try it out properly.

Anyhow, using iTunes is not possible. Once you enable iCould Photo library, you can't sync it with iPhoto through iTunes. Heck, it even forces you to delete all synced iPhoto pictures before turning it on.

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
I'm not looking at as a 100% solution for now, not like I'd delete me iPhoto library if I'd managed to move all my pics. But would have like to try it out properly.

Well, good luck - I'm counting on folks like you to swallow the pains of transition. I hope to learn much from the stumbles and make my migration less painful in 1st quarter next year.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Well, good luck - I'm counting on folks like you to swallow the pains of transition. I hope to learn much from the stumbles and make my migration less painful in 1st quarter next year.

Cheers!

At the moment, AirDroping seems the be the "best" way. If you aren't fussed about maintaining any album structure, it works quite well.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Why do we need Yosemite 1st? What about the people who don't use a computer like this? I have a Mac mini, but we don't use it for this type of stuff. It's just for movies, music, and pictures (not making another user account for my wife just so we can use it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.