Migrating to my new MBP! Whoo hoo!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Saladsamurai, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Saladsamurai macrumors regular

If you look in the sig, you will see that I am long overdue for an upgrade. I have my brand new 15" i7 Hi Res AG fired up and migrating my old stuff now! So excited!

I do have a question while here: Will I need to reinstall the OS on the old MBP in order to restore it (i.e. delete all my old stuff)? Or will it do that automatically? That is, when done with the migration, will I be left with 2 duplicate computers?

Thanks! :) :) :)

2. benj07 macrumors member

Congrats!

You will be left with 2 identical computer configurations. If you are done with the computer I'd recommend reinstalling the OS and then following these instructions to securely wipe the disk:

http://www.macworld.com/article/141358/2009/06/securely_wipe_hard_drive.html

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yes. The old computer will still be left the same. If you want to restore it, reinstalling the OS would be a good option.

4. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys! I find that interesting and a little confusing. Since it gave me the option to migrate 'applications' I would think that this would result in a licensing issue. Maybe they are banking on me being honest and removing all said applications?

5. sevimli macrumors 6502a

You will thank us if you just do a fresh install/setup.

Carrying all your junk isn't a good idea. :cool:

6. benj07 macrumors member

The licenses should transfer over for most applications. Occasionally you'll have to re-activate an app, but the typical "migration" is pretty smooth.

7. benj07 macrumors member

Or hate us for the added effort.

8. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

Too late! What do you mean "junk"?