Migrating to new iMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cgratti, Jan 13, 2008.

1. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

I use Super Duper to backup my drive. it makes a complete image of my G5 iMac on an external firewire drive.

I am about to purchase a new iMac 24", is it possible to just replace the original OS with my image when I get my new machine. Does it matter that I have completely different hardware and processor in the new iMac?

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I'd just use the migration assistant that comes with the computer. It will copy over your user files (documents and such) as well as applications and system settings.

3. cgratti thread starter macrumors 6502a

cgratti

I know about that, I was just curious if it would actually work by just dumping the image back on the new drive.

4. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

It might work, but I seriously doubt it. I'm not 100% sure, but since both computers have a different architecture some of the installed software might not work with the new one (as in what's installed wasn't the whole universal binary). Most likely tho, the configuration files will be different. Therefore it might not boot even if you have full universal support installed

5. Theatrics macrumors member

I don't think so. I would install leopard then download super duper and use it to restore the files from the back up image.