Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alwis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2017
I am one one those, who have different accounts for the App store and iCloud, back from the days when iCloud was called Mobile Me....

When migrating to my new iPad the device prompted me for confirming the App store login on one of my other devices, but no prompt was shown on any of them. I was able to solve it with the backup phone number, but I fear that this will not work when migration to a new iPhone in the autumn, as the phone is the device I receive SMS on.

In the past I had this problem when setting up a new Apple Watch but I can not remember, how I solved it. I do remember that it was really annoying... Is there anything I can do in advance to not step into this problem when setting up a new Iphone?

And yes, I think Apple should keep its promise and finally find a way to merge accounts, as they promised about a decade ago...

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Having the iPhone you're setting up be the phone with the SMS for the Trusted Phone Number isn't particularly a problem, as long as that phone is working. But of course, losing access to that number (or breaking the phone, etc) would certainly cause problems. You can add additional trusted numbers and they don't even need to be SMS capable.

I must have missed Apple "promising" to find a way to merge accounts - never heard of that.

Reactions: Alwis

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
It happened to me a couple of weeks ago when upgrading to an iPhone 15 Pro. I also have two different accounts. The solution is to press the set up later or something like that option when it asks for the store account. If you are restoring from a backup your apps will download and it will prompt you to log in once you finish the set up. It will then send the 2FA code to your other devices.

Reactions: Alwis

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Why not just use the same phone number on both accounts and request a sms instead of a device prompt instead? works for me every time. Why would you not be able to receive sms on your new iPhone in the fall? I also have a German and US App Store account while my iCloud Account is the US one.

Alwis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2017
Why not just use the same phone number on both accounts and request a sms instead of a device prompt instead? works for me every time. Why would you not be able to receive sms on your new iPhone in the fall?

That is, what I was not sure about. Can I receive and access the SMS on the Phone I am migrating to while Quick Start is active, as at this point my old phone would have no SIM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.