Migrating to new Mac - 3 options

Discussion in 'macOS' started by taijuan, Aug 18, 2008.

1. taijuan macrumors member

I have a MacBook Pro 1.83 which I believe is on it's last legs. I've already replaced the keyboard, two fans, the hard drive and now the camera has broken. I've about decided to get a new MacBook. Got a question about migrating all my files to the new computer. I have upgraded to the newest version of OSX and iLife and I already keep an update clone of my hard drive using SuperDuper.

Method 1
    Buy the new computer and use the migration assistant to transfer all the files. Not sure how exact a copy I'll end up with, how long it will take and how much I'll have to reset up.

Method 2
    Open the new computer in Target disk mode and use SuperDuper to copy my old computer to the new computer. Not sure if i'll have any iTunes purchases problems or anything else that I haven't thought of.

Method 3
    Take the SuperDuper clone out of my external enclosure and put it in the new MacBook and then put the new MacBook drive into the external enclosure.

I'm tending towards the third method, but have no idea if my thinking is flawed and am going to cause myself more problems than I'll solve. Any thoughts about this would be appreciated

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Use Method 1 with your 1.83 in Target Disk connected to your new MB.

P.S.: Hold up a little longer and get the new MB/P when they're announced in Sept!

3. taijuan thread starter macrumors member

i was personally tending towards the third method. Is there some reason that this is dangerous?

4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I would also go with Method 1. It will get everything over that you'll need. Method 3 isn't dangerous per se, but it will copy over a bunch of files you don't need. I supposed there may be machine-specific files copied over, too, that you don't want, but I'm not sure. However, Migration Assistant will get everything over just fine. Actually, I'd set up the new computer with a new user, then use MA to transfer over everything to a new user. Once that user is how you want, delete the one you created with the new computer. I only suggest that because I've had MA hang on my when setting up a new computer if there's a lot to transfer over.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

6. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

You might also be able to restore from a Time Machine backup.